ESPAÑOL      |      PORTUGUÊS      |      FRANÇAIS      |      DEUTSCH      |      我们说普通话      |      हिंदी      |      বাংলা

Call Our Office Today:

(561) 578-4977

Fiancé Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen planning to marry someone from another country or are an immigrant planning a wedding to a U.S. citizen, making the proper legal arrangements can help the process go more smoothly. Applying for the proper visa is essential to allow your intended bride or groom to enter the country legally. In most cases, a K-1 visa is required for fiancés and fiancées of U.S. citizens. Because processing times for these fiancé visas can be long, applying early is usually recommended to prevent delays for your wedding plans.

Who Is Eligible for a K-1 Visa?

Applicants for K-1 visas must not currently be married to anyone, including to their sponsoring fiancé or fiancée. They must have had a face-to-face meeting with their proposed partner within the last two years or must show reasonable cause why this would present a hardship for one or both parties.

The K-1 Visa Process

The fiancé or fiancée currently living in the U.S. is responsible for filing Form I-129F with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This Petition for Foreign Fiancé(e) is required to allow legal entry for your partner into the U.S. If the person entering the company has children under the age of 21, they can also be included in the Form I-129F filing to allow them to enter with their parent. These minor children will be issued K-2 visas rather than the K-1 fiancé visa.

A Limited Time to Marry

When your fiancé enters the country, a 90-day clock begins. The marriage must be performed during this time frame. If a delay occurs, the person who entered the U.S. must leave and begin the process again. This can be costly and time-consuming. It is usually in your best interest to make sure that the marriage is performed and that all legal requirements are handled as quickly as possible to ensure that your fiancé or fiancée can live and work in the U.S.

The West Palm Beach fiancé visa lawyers at Pozo Goldstein can provide you with the most accurate and helpful advice for your upcoming marriage. We can help you fill out the necessary forms and can ensure that you stay on the right side of immigration regulations when planning your wedding. Call us today to discuss your situation with one of our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys. We look forward to the chance to work with you.